This Coconut Cream Pie is produced with a coconut custard filling and a coconut whipped cream, all topped with toasted coconut! It’s a traditional pie that is wonderfully delicious!
So pie is some thing I’ve designed much more of a adore and appreciation for in recent years. I grew up eating loads of cake, cupcakes and ice cream, but not a ton of pie. It’s a bit surprising because my dad is this kind of a pie guy, but with the exception of pumpkin pie (gimme, gimme!), we didn’t have it a lot when I was a kid.
But now that I know of my dad’s love for it and have been enjoying it a lot more myself, it’s been entertaining to make different pies and share them with him. This is a pie he’s been waiting a whilst for now. He’s a lover of coconut cream pie, so when I made this, my mom took most of it (and the many trial versions) back residence to him, which he loved.
And because my mom likes to freeze my desserts for later on and hand them out, my grandmother also got to attempt it when she visited final week. She loved it and declared it to be tasty and rich!
So how to get commenced with producing this pie? Well first up is the crust. This crust is blind baked, considering that the filling itself is cooked on the stove and not in the oven. You’ll want to have some pie weights handy to use to preserve your pie crust from fluffing up in the course of the baking approach. I have two of the pie weight containers and use all of them to make certain the bottom and the sides keep in area.
As soon as the crust is baked, it’s time for the filling. It’s a classic custard cooked correct on the stove. The sugar, cornstarch, milk and cream are all cooked over the stove so they commence the thicken. Partway via the thickening procedure, some of the milk mixture is gradually extra to the egg yolks. This procedure with the eggs is called “tempering” and it’s a way of heating the eggs slowly so that you don’t get scrambled eggs.
The eggs and cornstarch operate to thicken the custard as it continues to cook. After ready, it’s time to add some flaked coconut, butter, coconut extract and a bit of vanilla extract. Mix it all together and then pour it into your pie crust. Refrigerate it until it’s firm, then include the coconut whipped cream on top. The last touch is some toasted coconut!
This pie is SO great! It’s complete of coconut taste and the custard is creamy and delicious! Along with the buttery crust, it’s all just great and a pie I can’t wait to make over and over again! I hope you take pleasure in it!
Coconut Cream Pie
five from 3 evaluations
This Coconut Cream Pie is made with a coconut custard filling and a coconut whipped cream, all topped with toasted coconut! It’s a traditional pie that is wonderfully scrumptious!
- Writer: Daily life, Enjoy and Sugar
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Complete Time: forty minutes
- Yield: 12 – 14 Servings 1 x
- Class: Dessert
- Technique: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Refrigerated pie crust
- four egg yolks
- 1 cup (207g) sugar
- three tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- one cup (240ml) hefty whipping cream
- 1 cup (73g) sweetened flaked coconut
- two tbsp (28g) salted butter
- one tsp vanilla extract
- one tsp coconut extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/two cup (58g) powdered sugar
- one one/two tsp coconut extract
- 1/two cup (37g) sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
1. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with non-stick baking spray.
two. Location the pie crust into the pie plate. Fold the edges of the crust under and mold them to your preference.
3. Blind bake the crust in accordance to the package deal instructions.
four. To make the filling, include the egg yolks to a medium sized bowl and gently beat them together. Set aside.
5. Add the sugar, cornstarch, milk and cream to a massive saucepan and stir till smooth.
6. Cook, stirring continuously, more than medium-minimal heat right up until mixture commences to thicken and bubble.
7. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then take away from heat.
8. Add a little bit of the milk mixture to the egg yolks and whisk with each other, then add egg mixture to milk mixture. This approach assures that you don’t cook the egg yolks as well rapidly.
9. Spot the pan back on the heat and bring to a light boil. Allow to boil for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
10. Take away from heat and add the coconut flakes, butter, vanilla and coconut extract. Stir right up until smooth, then pour the scorching mixture into the pie crust. Cover with clear wrap that is pressed towards the top of the filling and set in the fridge to cool totally.
11. When the pie has cooled, make the topping. Include the whipping cream, powdered sugar and coconut extract to a large mixer bowl and whip on higher speed right up until stiff peaks kind.
12. Spread the whipped cream over the pie and best with the toasted coconut.
13. Refrigerate the pie until prepared to serve. Pie ought to be properly covered and need to be ideal for three-4 days.
You don’t want to cook the pie filling on as well higher of heat or it could lead to some separation. The heat settings are a guideline, but some stoves cook hotter than other individuals. If you require a simmer but your stove is producing a boil, target on the simmer and minimize the heat setting.
Keywords: coconut cream pie recipe, ideal coconut dessert recipe, simple coconut dessert recipe